“Let’s have a brief overview of the Sabarmati Ashram”
Sabarmati Ashram was one of the most famous Ashrams of India. It is a fascinating place that every Indian wants to visit once. Most of the development activities of this Ashram have been carried out by Mahatma Gandhi himself. The Ashram was first originated at Kocharab Bungalow, which was owned by the Barrister friend of Mahatma Gandhi. The name of the friend as per the historical records was Jivanlal Desai. Sabarmati Ashram occupies a large area of land in Gujarat. The main purpose behind the development of this Ashram by Mahatma Gandhi is- increase the fearlessness among the Indian people, so they can fight against the odd norms of the British Government prevailing in India. Further, the other purpose was to create a place for the people to seek peace and truth. These two intentions have been carried out by Mahatma Gandhi for the development of the well-known Sabarmati Ashram.
The Sabarmati Ashram was founded on May 25, 1915, by the name of “Satyagraha Ashram”. In the year 1915, Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa and founded this ashram with the help of 25 supporters. Mahatma Gandhi personally visited the site of the Ashram to check the feasibility to carry out his proposed work in India. Later, the name of this Ashram has been changed to Harijan Ashram to develop non-violent groups that can help in gaining freedom for India. In the year 1917, the Ashram was relocated to near the banks of the Sabarmati River and renamed as Sabarmati Ashram.
Who founded Sabarmati Ashram of Gujarat?
The Sabarmati Ashram was founded by Mahatma Gandhi in the year 1917. This is the place that has been utilized by Mahatma Gandhi for residential purposes also from the year 1915 to 1933. Originally it was founded in the year 1915 with the name of Satyagraha Ashram.
Who was the architect of Sabarmati Ashram of Gujarat?
Sabarmati Ashram was architected by a famous urban planner “Charles Mark Correa”. The architect was recognized for his architectural designs and modern construction in India after his freedom. He was Roman Catholic but born in Secunderabad, India in the Year 1930. All his academic education was completed in India only.
What are the foundation values of Sabarmati Ashram of Gujarat?
Sabarmati Ashram was founded by Mahatma Gandhi after keeping solid values in the mind. The main foundation values of Sabarmati Ashram are the development of truth, development of fearlessness, development of non-violent attitude, and creating respect for the lower caste people. These all values were concerned to the Indian people.
Do you know the other names of Sabarmati Ashram of Gujarat?
There are other names also available on the various websites that have been given to the Sabarmati Ashram in earlier years. Some of the former names are “Gandhi Ashram”, “Harijan Ashram”, “Satyagraha Ashram”, “Gandhi Memorial Museum” and Gandhi Smarak Sangralya.
Does the Sabarmati Ashram site was used by Famous Rishi, according to the Hindu Mythology?
There is a belief that the site of the Sabarmati Ashram was previously used by Dadhichi Rishi according to the data retrieved from the various Hindu Mythology books. Dadhichi Rishi was well known due to the lending of his bones to fulfill the purpose of a righteous war.
What is the exact location of the Sabarmati Ashram?
The Sabarmati Ashram is located between a crematory and confinement. This site location was selected by Mahatma Gandhi to provide a clearer picture of the Ashram principles and purpose to the disciples.
What are the major activities carried at Sabarmati Ashram?
Numerous activities have been carried at the premises of the Sabarmati Ashram. Mahatma Gandhi started manual labor work, a school, farming, and various other education activities inside the premises of this Ashram. Till a present lot of new activities has been added to be carried out in the Ashram premises by the Indian Government authorities.
What is the purpose behind carrying out various activities carried at Sabarmati Ashram?
Mahatma Gandhi was well known for his exceptional thought process and work in India and abroad. As per the belief of Mahatma Gandhi, Indian people require more education and training to fight against the odd norms of the British Government. With this point of view, he ran a school on the premises of the Ashram to teach the uneducated people of India. The manual labor work was started, so Indian people can devote their time toward the development of India rather than being a slave of the British Government. The farming activities have been carried out, so more Indian agriculture products can be produced. These strategies were used by Mahatma Gandhi to secure Indian freedom through non-violent tools.
The famous civil disobedience movement of India of the Year 1930 has been started from Sabarmati Ashram only. The movement was started to offend the wrong taxes levied on the use of Indian salt by the British Government. The main protest was against the British Salt Law. In this movement, Mahatma Gandhi walked with his 78 followers from the Ashram to Dandi, a place situated around 240-kilo meters away from the ashram location. The movement gained a lot of support from the Indian people and to protect their reputation, the British Government arrested around 60,000 protestors from the marching location.
The Sabarmati Ashram was ordered to be permanently locked by the British Government after happening of this movement in India. After civil disobedience, Mahatma Gandhi took an oath of not returning to the Ashram until India secured Independence from the British Government. Later on, this Ashram was protected and looked over by the local people due to the unavailability of Mahatma Gandhi.
Sabarmati Ashram is one of the beautifully constructed Ashrams in India. There are a lot of buildings present on the premises. The architecture of these buildings provides glimpses of the simple lifestyle of Mahatma Gandhi and his values.
The first building located inside the Ashram premises is “Magan Niwas”, Mahatma Gandhi’s nephew’s name was given to this building. It was believed that he was the true disciple of Mahatma Gandhi and provided support to him whenever needed. Magan Niwas was the place where Mahatma Gandhi’s nephew lived at the Ashram. Gandhi’s nephew was a good architect and manages things effectively. He was the only person in the Ashram who founded the better version of the spinning wheel that ultimately helped in generating Khadi products.
The second building located inside the Ashram premises is “Hriday Kunj”,this place is known as the principal residence of the Mahatma Gandhi and Kasturba Gandhi. This was also the principal place of meetings of the Ashram. This building consists of six rooms including a storeroom, guest room, secretariat, and kitchen.
The third building located inside the Ashram premises is “Gandhi Memorial Museum”. A lot of artifacts of Mahatma Gandhi have been kept inside this building of the Sabarmati Ashram. There are three separate art galleries are present inside this museum building. These three galleries names are, Painting Gallery, Ahmedabad Gallery, and My life is My Message gallery. The museum inauguration has taken place in the year 1953 at the hands of former Prime Minister Pundit Jawaharlal Nehru.
The fourth building inside the Ashram premises is “Vinoba Mira Kutir”. This building was named after Vinoba Bhave, the main disciple of Mahatma Gandhi. Vinoba Bhave was born in a British family and was greatly influenced by Gandhi’s thoughts over Indian freedom. She has provided full support in the Ashram activities and various movements laid by Mahatma Gandhi to gain Indian freedom.
The fifth building inside the Ashram premises is “Udyog Mandir”, this building was supposed to be inaugurated at the time when Ahmedabad Mill employees have announced the strike. The year of the inauguration of this building was 1918. This building was inaugurated with the motive of spreading the message of getting freedom through Khadi.
The sixth building inside the Ashram premises is “Upasana Mandir”, These prayers of the Sabarmati Ashram use to be held in this building at the time of Mahatma Gandhi’s ownership. The Bhagvat Geeta is generally used to be recited in this building to make the people independent and fearless. There are two timings of the prayers in this building, one in the morning hours and the other in the evening hours.
The seventh building inside the Ashram premises is “Somnath Chhatralaya”, The main Swadeshi program was carried out by Mahatma Gandhi in this building only. The major schools of the Ashram run in this building. The people living in the Ashram can easily learn the rules of the Ashram after visiting the Somnath Chhatralaya.
What are the main programs that take place at Sabarmati Ashram?
Sabarmati Ashram is under the control of the Indian Government these days. This place has become a famous monument and tourist attraction. The people from the Indian region and abroad visit this place to know the life, philosophy, and work of Mahatma Gandhi at the time when India was struggling for freedom. Especially, the historians who are researching Indian History used to visit this place frequently. The architects and various government officials also visit this place to learn about the building structure of the Ashram and to provide respect to the remains of Mahatma Gandhi.
Apart from the various activities that run inside the premises of Sabarmati Ashram, various programs also take place in a year. Many people participate from different regions participate in these programs. Some of the famous programs that take place in Ashram are:
- Independence Day program on 15th August every year at Gandhi Ashram
- Republic day program on 26th January every year at Gandhi Ashram
- Program over Mahatma Gandhi Death Anniversary on 30th January every year at Hriday Kunj
The time of holding these programs is given below:
- Independence Day- Flag hosting takes place between 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
- Republic day- Flag hosting takes place between 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
- Mahatma Gandhi Death Anniversary- A prayer meeting is generally conducted between 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM
What are the characteristics of the Mahatma Gandhi Museum?
- A book shop is present in the museum which sells the books and literature written over the life of Mahatma Gandhi, his disciples, and Ashram. This book shop provides all the literature on the exceptional work of Mahatma Gandhi during his lifetimes. The revenue earned from this book shop generally benefits the local artists.
- The Gandhi museum library has over 35,000 books in total. All the books are related to Gandhi’s philosophy, principles, values, teachings, and work. A separate reading room is also built in this library where 80 English periodicals are also available.
- A large variety of paintings are available in this museum.
- An exhibition of the Gandhi letters, quotations, and artifacts is open for the visitors in the museum.
- Storage of 34,117 letters written by Mahatma Gandhi is available till present in the museums. A lot of manuscripts and articles in original and photocopies are available in the museum. Around six thousand photos of Gandhi are also available in the museum.
How many people visit Sabarmati Ashram every year?
Around, 700,000 people visit Sabarmati Ashram every year. The people who visit come from the Indian region and abroad as well. The main purpose of visiting the Ashram is to know the life of Mahatma Gandhi with a more closure view. Many historians and architects visit this place.
What is the main material present at Sabarmati Ashram?
A lot of material is preserved at the Sabarmati Ashram that relates to Mahatma Gandhi, Ashram disciples, and Ashram history. The main material that is present at the Sabarmati Ashram is photos, written materials, paintings especially oil paintings, Khadi remains, films, and personal records. These all materials are enough to depict the history of the Ashram.
The books over the Indian independence movement published by “Mahadevbhani Diary” are also preserved securely at the Ashram. This book describes all the main activities that have been performed at the time of Indian Independence. All the work that has been carried out at the time of Independence is recorded in this book. The readers have an interest in reading this book in the Ashram library.
Where are the overall funds of Sabarmati Ashram get deployed?
Sabarmati Ashram is recognized as a tourist place by the Indian government and a lot of educational activities also take place on the premises. To support the activities of the Ashram, the government releases a lot of funds every year. Ashram primarily utilizes these funds in the following activities-
- In the education of the people who want to learn the Mahatma Gandhi teachings at the Ashram.
- For maintaining the affairs of the Gandhi Museum
- To conduct the various Ashram programs
- To develop the buildings present at the Ashram premises
- In publishing the journals, books, and newsletters related to Mahatma Gandhi life, teaching and workings
- In undertaking any kind of research over the Mahatma Gandhi life and work
- For celebrating the different occasions in the premises of the Ashram
- For providing the facilities to the students who are learning Mahatma Gandhi philosophy
What are the special attractions of every building present at the Sabarmati Ashram?
Every building present inside the Sabarmati Ashram is unique. The visitors can see different things placed in the different building that is relevant to Indian history.
- The library present in the Ashram is consists of various books and literature over Mahatma Gandhi’s life. These books are enough for the readers to know and research Mahatma Gandhi’s life. The books of the library are only available for the reading purpose at the library and Ashram rules strictly prohibit any lending of the books to outsiders.
- My life is My message is one of the buildings that gain visitors attraction due to the availability of a wide range of paintings and photos related to Indian history. These pictures clearly describe the whole life of Mahatma Gandhi and his works during the freedom struggle of India.
- The various Charkha designs are present at the Magan Niwas. The visitors can easily learn its uses for Khadi production at the Ashram.
- A prayer ground is present at the Upasana Mandir where a lot of literature over the different religious books is available. The religious books include Bhagvat Geeta, Quran, and bible.
- A guest room at the Nandini building is already built inside the Ashram premises.
- A temple for providing respect to the labor is present with the name of Udyog Mandir.
- A large number of rooms are available to the people who have devoted their lives to the Sabarmati Ashram. These rooms are built inside the Somnath Chattralaya.
- The stay of the teachers of the Ashram is present with the name of Teacher’s Niwas
- The 8 life paintings are available for exhibition at the painting gallery
- A special hut is present near the Vinoba-Mira Kutir.
What is the distance between the town hall and Sabarmati Ashram?
The distance between the Townhall and Ashram is four miles. A person can easily reach this place by taking a foot walk.
What are the entry timings of Sabarmati Ashram?
Sabarmati Ashram is open for visitors between 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM daily.
Is there is any entry fee for the Sabarmati Ashram?
Sabarmati Ashram provides free entry to all visitors.
What are the main address and phone numbers of the Sabarmati Ashram?
The address and phone number of the ashram with the state code is given below-
Sabarmati Ashram, Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya,
Gandhi Ashram, Ahmedabad-380027, Gujarat, India.
Phone: +91-79-2755 7277, Fax: +91-79-2756-0569
The officials are generally available on this phone number and it is currently operational at the location.
What are the various modes of reaching the Ashram?
There are various transport options available to the visitors to reach the Sabarmati Ashram.
The visitors can reach the Ashram by road. The main bus stop is situated near to the Ashram named as “Gitamandir”. The bus daily halts from this bus stop.
The other mode to reach the Ashram is the railway. A visitor can take the train towards the Kalupur railway station or Ahmedabad railway station according to the feasibility. A visitor coming from the Mumbai side can drop down to the Gandhigram railway station. As it is nearby to the Ashram premises.
The last mode to reach the Ashram is taking a domestic flight to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel airport situated in Ahmedabad. The people coming from abroad can also drop down at this airport. It is an international airport.
What is the main content available on the official site of the Sabarmati Ashram?
The official website of the Sabarmati Ashram is https://gandhiashramsabarmati.org/ . This website contains a lot of content over the Sabarmati Ashram. The website was developed by the Gujarat Government to promote Ashram’s activities, history, and literature online. The website has gained a lot of popularity among the visitors and the people associated with the Sabarmati Ashram or Gandhi Ashram. This website data is available to all the online visitors and people can buy the books online as well. All the relevant information related to Ashram and its programs get updated on this website. The main content that is available on this website includes an audiobook named Gandhi Katha. The book is narrated in various parts and all the parts have been launched on the website. The videos and pictures are also added with special graphics with this audiobook.