Onion as being used for general consumptions carries a lot of beneficial and harmful substances inside it. There are various types of onion present, such as bulb onion, shallot onion, and Chinese onion. The onion is familiar to the garlic and leek. It is a core biennial plant and can be consumed in raw and cooked form with its cultivation occurring throughout year. The onion has a lot of other varieties as well, such as onion flowers, onion roots, and onion plants. People love eating onions and have used them for medical purposes for a long time. There is a belief associated with the onion that onion juice is good to hear however there are also side effects of onion juice on hair which very few are aware of. The onion can be cooked as a vegetable, and the onion pickle can be formed. The onion-based oil, shampoos, and soaps are widely available globally. People use these materials to improve hair and skin conditions.
Is onion juice not good for the hair? What are the side effects of it?
We all know that fruits and vegetables-based products can cure various problems for a very long period. But these vegetables also have potential negative drawbacks. The onion juice is beneficial for hair treatment. Still, after multiple kinds of research and personal experiences of the people, some side effects have also been reported.
- Many people have reported that they felt more itching on their head scalp after applying the onion juice on hairs. The cause of this itching over the head scalp is a large amount of sulfur present inside the onion. The other cause of this side effect of onion juice on hair is that people do not rinse the onion juice properly from the scalp.
- The excessive use of onion juice on the hair causes various side effects.
- The itching that is caused due to application of the onion juice on the hair ultimately results in the falling of the hair in excessive quantity. This is also another side effect of onion juice on the hair.
- The onion juice on the hair makes the hairs more dry and rigid. Some people reported that their hair became like a plant root and the daily combing is not easy.
- The other side effect of the onion juice on the hair is a change in the hair’s original color.
- The onion juice on hair results in the presence of a foul odor for a long time. This odor can disturb the other people sitting behind the user.
- The people try to remove the foul odor of the onion by using some other shampoos, but that results in more hair damage.
- The scalp inflammation can also be a result of the application of onion juice on the hair. This disease can cause other harmful effects on the person’s health.
- The people who are using the onion directly on the hairs without mixing any moisturizer and supplements report more side effects.
- The direct application of the raw onion juice results in more dandruff in the hairs.
- The onion juice application on the hair results in temporary and permanent baldness.
- The hair conditions like Androgenic Alopecia can also result from the application of onion juice on the hair.
- In some cases, the people used the onion juice to grow their forehead hair, but they got adverse effects. The negative effects include the removal of the hairs and falling of the hairs from the forehead hairline.
- The people who are drinking the excess onion juice to grow hair are also getting adverse side effects.
- The onion juice-based oils that have been used for the hairs without reading the precautionary instructions are also causing a lot of side effects.
- A burning sensation on the scalp is also a result of applying onion juice to the hair.
- The people who apply onion juice to the hair feel irresistible, and their eyes become watery at the time of the application.
- Some people reported different kinds of infections and allergies on the body parts and head. The body part itching results from using the onion juice as a substitute for hair bleach.
- The people who use onion juice for bleaching the hairs present on the body part have reported various side effects of onion juice on the hair. Some side effects are itching, irritation, scratches, wrinkles, aging signs, redness, and a high level of skin inflammation.
- In some bleaching cases, the hair growth on the various body parts has been stopped.
What are the main causes of the side effects ?
The side effects of any product arise only due to some possible reasons. Some of the possible reasons having the side effects of onion juice on hair are as follows:
- The application of onion juice on the hair in excess quantity.
- The application of the onion juice on the hair without doing the proper chopping in the mixer.
- The application of the onion juice on the hair without refrigerating it.
- The application of the onion juice on the hair without using any additional substance or material such as honey and castor oil.
- The use of chemical shampoos after applying the onion juice on the hair is also a reason for having side effects.
- Applying the onion juice-based hair products without considering and reading the precautionary guidelines.
- The people apply the onion juice without having the scalp test.
- The use of the rotten onion is making the juice for applying on the hair.
- People do not check their hair quality before applying onion juice-based products.
Understand the side effects of hair smoothening, don’t regret later
What are the precautions you can take to avoid the side effects ?
If applied to the hairs after taking the various precautions, the onion juice will reduce the side effects. The various precautions that have to be taken for applying the onion juice on the hairs are as follows:
- The right proportion of the onion juice should be applied to the hairs.
- The hair condition and scalp test should be done before applying the onion juice.
- The onion should be properly chopped and mashed in the mixer to make the onion juice for the hairs.
- The proper refrigeration of the onion juice should be done before applying it to the hairs.
- The other supplements like honey, castor oil, ginger, aloe Vera, and vinegar should be used with the onion juice for the hairs. This will help in reducing the possible side effects.
- The mild shampoos should be used after the application of the onion juice on hairs. This will help in protecting the scalp from baldness and hair damage.
- The precautionary instructions should be read carefully by the user before applying the onion juice to the hair.
- The fresh onion should be used to prepare the onion juice for the hair.
Now let’s dive in to understand the benefits ?
The onion juice is used for various hair treatments for a longer period. The various home-based and commercial onion juice hair products are out in the market these days. People are buying these products due to their potential benefits apart from the side effects. Some of the benefits of onion juice application on the hairs are as follows:
- Rapid hair growth is possible if an adequate quantity of onion juice is applied to the hairs.
- Applying onion juice in adequate quantity increases the hair’s shine and smoothness.
- The onion juice can help prevent scalp diseases if applied in the correct quantity, such as alopecia.
- If applied in the correct quantity, the onion juice can help in stopping hair discoloration. The hairs will stop becoming grey and white especially.
- The onion juice can be used as the conditioner for the hairs.
- The onion juice can provide more nourishment to the hair.
- The hair follicles can become open after applying the onion juice to the scalp.
- The onion juice massage with light hands can help remove the dandruff layers from the scalp.
- The hair straightness can also be managed after applying the onion juice.
- The various onion hair masks help prevent hair damage for an extended period.
- The split ends can also be removed after applying the onion juice to the hairs. The burned hairs can also be removed.
What are the various onion juice-based hair products available in the market?
In the modern days, people are more habitual of using fruits and vegetable-based products for hair and skin nourishment. The apple vinegar, aloe vera gels, and onion juice-based products are available in bulk in the market. Some of the onion juice-based hair products are as follows:
- Mamaearth onion hair oil
- Black seed onion oil
- Organi vibe hair spa mask
- Bodywise biotin hair gummies
- Kazima onion herbal shampoo
- Wow, Skin science onion black seed hair oil