Looking for Health benefits of Anjeer? Then, you are in the right place. Anjeer or Figs in English is a popular fruit grown in several states in India. This tiny fruit is packed with some amazing nutrients that improve overall health when consumed on a regular basis. The fruit resembles a small pear or a bell-shaped flower. They are very soft and sweet and you can easily cut them by hand without a knife.
When figs are dried and sold commercially it is called Anjeer in the local language. Figs are available in different colors and the dried fruit is available all throughout the year. It can be included in your daily diet as a healthy snack and you can add it to desserts like ice cream, jams, milkshakes, salads, etc.
This one single fruit is enough to give your body all the nutrition it requires and this becomes clear when you look into the health benefits and nutritional profile of Anjeer that I have elaborated below.
The nutritional profile of figs/Anjeer
Despite the high nutritional content, Anjeer is surprisingly low on calories. These immensely rich fruits have approximately 74 calories for every 100 grams. They contain antioxidants like flavonoids and include carotenes, lutein, tannins, and chlorogenic acids. Fresh figs are abundant in B complex vitamins like niacin and folates.
Their vitamin profile is also impressive as they are packed with Vitamin A, E, and K that scavenges free radicals and help in preventing a host of diseases including cancer. Dried figs are rich in minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, potassium, selenium, and zinc.
Here, some popular figs/Anjeer products
Potassium is one of the essential minerals required by the human body and plays a very important role in regulating blood pressure and heart rate. Iron is another essential mineral that is very much needed for the formation of red blood cells and in maintaining overall health.
Health benefits of Anjeer
There are many benefits to eating Anjeer and you can easily understand this if you read the nutritional profile above. Regular consumption of this fruit is very necessary and to elucidate this further I have compiled the benefits into a list.
- If you wanted to lose weight and maintain a healthy shape then anjeer is the solution for this. Rich in soluble fibre Anjeer acts as a laxative and helps you in removing all the toxins from your body by regulating your bowel movement. According to the study by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, a diet of high fibre helps in losing extra fat.
- The presence of abundant potassium in Anjeer helps in regulating high blood pressure. It successfully neutralises the negative effects of sodium and brings the blood pressure under control. It also balances the electrolytes in the body by balancing the fluids in the system.
- Anjeer is recommended to people suffering from constipation. It is a natural laxative that doesn’t have any side effects. Because of this property, it helps in the treatment of piles. If you are suffering from piles or haemorrhoids anjeer is a traditional medicine that helps in combating it. It also has antispasmodic properties.
- Since anjeer is rich in minerals it helps in building strong bones and lowers the risk of osteoporosis. It is very rich in calcium and phosphorous, and it assists in the formation of bones and stimulates the regrowth of bones in the event of any injury or deterioration. A serving of anjeer offers you 180mg of Calcium along with other essential vitamins.
- Anjeer is a very good regulator of blood sugar levels and even the American Diabetic Association recommends adding Anjeer into the diet. The high potassium content in Anjeer helps in regulating the spike in blood sugar levels post meals. The high fibre content also facilitates the reduction of insulin in your body.
- Anjeer has proven to reduce the level of triglycerides in the blood protecting your heart and improving its performance for the better. Pectin is a soluble fibre that is abundant in anjeer which helps clear away the cholesterol clogged in your blood vessels and widens your arteries so that the blood can flow smoothly. It also attacks the free radicals present in your body and reduces inflammation.
- There is strong evidence that supports a diet rich in Anjeer helps in treating neurodegenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s and decreases neuroinflammation. The vitamins that are loaded in Anjeer helps reduce anxiety and brings down the stress level in the body. It has been shown to improve learning skills in Alzheimer’s patients.
- Anjeer plays a major role in improving your dental health. The phenolic compounds which are present in Anjeer have anti-cavity properties and reduce the bacteria that causes dental infection in the mouth. The flavonoids exhibit potential anti-bacterial properties that help in guarding the gums and promoting overall dental health.
- Anjeer is also very beneficial for the skin. It has powerful antioxidants that help in reducing wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. This is why many beauty products use fig extracts in their formulation. Anjeer hydrates the skin keeping it moist and soft and works as a natural remedy for hyperpigmentation, acne and wrinkles.
- Anjeer has a rich mineral profile which helps in building strong hair. The high iron content is very necessary to increase hair strength and stimulate the hair follicles to grow.
Precautions you need to follow while taking Anjeer
Anjeer may be the answer to many of your problems but I would fail in my duty if I didn’t warn of certain precautions that need to be taken when consuming it.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding you can consume Anjeer but for consuming Anjeer supplements it is best to consult your health practitioner once.
- Do not consume an excessive amount of this fruit as it will lower your blood sugar to a great extent. Always consume in moderation and Ayurveda recommends having only 2-3 Anjeer per day.
- The fresh fruit of Anjeer (figs) contains latex so handle it with precaution as the latex might irritate your skin.
This amazing fruit is nature’s answer to all your health problems. Loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants this fruit can help regulate and prevent many health problems and diseases. That is why this humble fruit is highly regarded in Ayurveda.
Grown in countries like Egypt, India, Spain, Morocco, Greece, Italy, Brazil and the US this little fruit packs quite the punch in terms of nutritional benefits. Anjeer can be soaked first or figs (fresh fruit) can be consumed raw, or they can be added to desserts, no matter how you consume them you will definitely get all the benefits you are supposed to. This is all about the Health Benefits of Anjeer.
Frequently Asked Questions