Wondering how to make onion oil at home? Then, you are in the right place. Onions have been used in Indian cuisine since time immemorial. Heck, we Indians are so crazy over onions that we have even toppled governments that have let onion prices soar. So, it should not come as any surprise if newer methods of using this humble vegetable are being invented.
We all know about the benefits of onion and the number of nutrients packed in this tiny vegetable. Despite its ability to make even the fiercest cook cry while cutting it, it hasn’t lost its sheen and has a firm place in our diet. Almost all dishes be it south indian or north indian make use of onion in some form or the other.
So, when onion oil and its benefits started to make rounds it certainly made me curious. I wanted to know what all the fuss about onion oil was. So, I did some digging and in this blog, I present to you everything about onion oil. First, let us start from the basics – What is onion oil?
What is onion oil?
Onion oil is the juice extracted from onions which is then boiled in oil to make onion oil. This oil can be made at home or can be purchased from stores. It is found both online and offline as well. Onion oil has been vouched in Ayurveda as the ultimate solution for all your hair problems.
So, expanding on that I have written about the benefits of onion oil. This will hopefully make you understand why there is so much buzz behind this oil.
Benefits of onion oil
Onion oil is very versatile and its benefits aren’t limited to the hair only. It can be applied to the skin as well and is quite effective as an exfoliator.
- Onion oil is rich in sulphur and when used optimally, it prevents hair breakage, split ends and hair thinning. It also prevents greying of hair.
- Onion oil has plenty of antioxidants and helps hair maintain its growth cycle.
- The dense nutrient profile of onion oil nourishes the hair follicles and helps the hair to grow better.
- Onion oil is effective in fighting dandruff and eliminates any bacterial infection.
- Onion oil prevents hair loss and baldness.
- It also acts as a conditioner and reduces hair frizz and dryness.
- It adds volume and shine to your hair.
- The antioxidants in the oil fight the free radicals in your body and allow the hair follicles to rejuvenate.
- Onion oil can be applied to the face as well and is quite effective in reducing dark spots, fighting acne, and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
Looking at the benefits above you can see why onion oil is catching on like wildfire (pun intended). If you wanted to try making onion oil at home as opposed to buying it from the store I have given a tutorial that will help you to make fresh, organic and nutrient packed onion oil at home.
How to make onion oil at home?
Making onion oil is easy and I promise there is no rocket science involved. So, without further ado, let’s begin.
- Take onions and finely chop them. Then make a paste of the onions by adding them to a blender. You can expect to make 800gms of oil from 3 kgs of onions. You can add a few sprigs of curry leaves to the blender as they too are very good for hair
- Take a pan and pour the oil of your choice. It can be either sesame oil or coconut oil.
- Then add the onion paste to this pan and heat the mixture on a low flame.
- After 5-10 minutes increase the flame and allow this mixture to come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes. At the end of the procedure, you will find the oil has become slightly dark.
- Set this mixture aside and leave it as it is for the entire night.
- In the morning use a clean cloth as a sieve and filter this mixture.
- The resulting liquid is your organic onion oil which is combined with coconut oil and curry leaves that is packed with nutrients. Carefully decant this oil into a bottle and store it securely.
Now, that you have this highly beneficial oil at your disposal I am sure you are very eager to use it. That is why I have given some tips regarding how to use this oil as well as some DIY hair masks that will certainly make your hair lustrous and shiny. Here is the some
How to use onion oil?
Onion oil can be used as any other hair oil. Depending on the damage your hair has incurred you can use it daily or you can use it 2-3 times a week.
You can also make hair masks that are quite effective in treating all your hair problems.
- You can mix onion oil with castor oil and apply it to your hair. You can leave it overnight and wash it off in the morning with a mild sulphate and paraben free shampoo.
- You can mix eggs with onion oil to make a protein packed hair mask. Apply it to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash off with a mild sulphate and paraben free shampoo.
- If you suffer from bacterial and fungal infections of the hair then you can combine onion oil with ginger juice and apply this hair mask to your hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash off with a mild sulphate and paraben free shampoo.
These are some of the hair masks you can make at home and apply to your hair before washing your hair. It will leave your hair shiny and bouncy. Regular application of onion oil or onion oil hair masks will help you get rid of all your hair problems and make your hair healthy.
Here is the list of some popular onion oil products available online
A parting tip…
I have discussed everything regarding onion oil and have explained the immense benefits you can reap if you use it wisely. While onion oil might be a miracle oil for the hair and skin I would be doing you a great disservice if I don’t explain some pointers you need to keep in mind before using this oil.
- Onion oil is a very pungent oil and if you are sensitive to smells then you can add some fragrant oils to mask this smell.
- Apply only a moderate amount of onion oil. You should apply this oil based on your hair needs and damage. It is not one size fits all. You shouldn’t go overboard with this oil in your haste to expect results. That way you will end up damaging your hair.
- It is recommended to do a patch test with this oil before using it. A patch test will indicate if you are allergic to the oil. Take the onion oil and rub it on a small section of your scalp or skin and leave it for 24-48 hours. If you are allergic you will find rashes or pink patches or some kind of indication. If not you are good to go.
- If you have sensitive scalp and skin then make sure you don’t leave the onion oil on your scalp for more than 3-4 hours, and certainly not overnight. Wash it off with a mild shampoo within 3 hours of oiling your hair.
I hope these tips help you in using onion oil wisely. By using onion oil consistently and regularly you will see improvement in the health of your hair.
This concludes my post on onion oil and all the benefit it entails. This oil is touted as the oil to end all your hair problems. Do try out the tutorial I have given you and let me know how the experience was. I hope you enjoyed reading my post on onion oil and found it useful.
Onion oil is easy to make and can be prepared at home at no extra cost as everyone has onions at home. Be careful when using this oil and never use too much of it. Use it optimally and reap the best benefits associated with this oil.
Frequently Asked Questions