Looking for the dermatologist recommended shampoo for thinning hair? Then, you are in the right place. Hair is considered the crowning glory of our face. It is literally the crown that you never take off. It is so important that many Hindi songs have been written describing hair to depict a beautiful person. Despite all these many people often neglect their hair and it is overlooked.
Dry hair is one of the most common hair problems out there after dandruff. But luckily dry hair can be treated easily and can be nipped in the bud before it becomes a serious problem. You obviously can’t allow any random product to cause damage to the health of your hair. It is thus, suggested to select a dermatologist recommended shampoo and conditioner. In this blog post, I talk about dry hair, the shampoos you can buy that will alleviate this problem and look at it holistically so that you can have healthy and shiny hair. Today, in this post I will try to select the best anti dandruff shampoo suggested by dermatologist for dry hair. Also, you will find out which are the best shampoo for hair fall in India without chemicals, so that you can make the right decision for your hair.
List of the best anti dandruff shampoo suggested by dermatologist
Buying the right hair care product is itself a task, and the task becomes more difficult when you find that there are innumerable options that can influence your buying dessisson. That’s why here we have listed down the best shampoo for hair fall dermatologist recommended in India:
01. BBLUNT Intense Moisture Shampoo
BBLUNT Intense Moisture Shampoo for Seriously Dry and Frizzy Hair is a shampoo from the B Blunt brand. It is a dermatologist-recommended shampoo for hair loss in males and females. It is very suitable for dry and frizzy hair. It provides intense moisture to such hair and perks it up to become healthy and lively. It is tested on Indian hair and keeps it well hydrated.
- This shampoo is created for all hair textures and types.
- It contains vitamin E and jojoba oil which is very good for the hair
- It effectively fights against hard water problems and pollution that your hair is exposed to regularly
- It also protects the colour of your hair and is tested in salons
- It contains no parabens and is made from natural ingredients.
- It is suitable for both men and women and is quite affordable.
02. StBotanica Apple Cider Vinegar
St Botanica Apple Cider Vinegar & Organic Argan Oil Hair Shampoo is a good shampoo from the brand St Botanica. This shampoo is made to treat dry hair specifically and contains all beneficial ingredients like vitamin B, jojoba oil, almond oil and argan oil. It works towards restoring the PH balance of your hair and provides deep moisturisation to your hair.
- This shampoo is suitable for all hair types.
- It repairs and strengthens your hair naturally
- The apple cider vinegar helps in getting rid of the free radicals in your hair
- It leaves your hair soft and smooth and detangles it gently.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals for that matter.
- It can be used by both sexes and is quite affordable. It is also a cruelty free product.
03. Anveya Hydrate & Nourish Shampoo
Anveya Hydrate & Nourish Shampoo for Dry, Damaged, Frizzy Hair & Hair Fall is a good shampoo from the brand Anveya. It is one of the best shampoos for hair fall in India without chemicals. It has all the right ingredients like vitamin B5 and hyaluronic acid that work very effectively in restoring your hair and making it healthy again. It will certainly hydrate your hair from the inside and will prevent breakage. It also contains oils like camellia oil and argan oil that naturally restore the shine in your hair.
- It locks the moisture into your hair and prevents any breakage and further damage
- It gently cleanses your scalp and removes any dirt or build-up effectively
- It is suitable for all hair types and also works effectively against dandruff and split ends
- It also gently detangles your hair and has anti-bacterial properties.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals and is also gluten-free.
- It can be used by both men and women.
- It is slightly expensive.
04. Plum Olive & Macadamia Healthy Hydration Shampoo
Plum Olive & Macadamia Healthy Hydration Shampoo is a wonderful shampoo by the brand plum. It has all healthy ingredients like olive oil, macadamia oil, and plant keratin that smoothen the hair and help restore the hair to its former glory. It enriches the hair from within leaving your scalp clean and healthy. It also successfully tames the frizz.
- It leaves your hair voluminous and shiny.
- The ingredients in this shampoo nourish your scalp and smoothen your hair.
- The plant keratin strengthens your hair shaft.
- This shampoo hydrates your hair leaving it well looked after.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals and is made from natural ingredients.
- It is vegan and cruelty-free and can be used by both men and women.
- It is suitable for all hair types.
- It is slightly expensive.
05. Pilgrim Mild Sulphate Free Shampoo
Pilgrim Mild Sulphate Free Shampoo (Argan Oil) For Dry Frizzy Hair, Men and Women is a great shampoo from the brand Pilgrim. This brand is owned by an Indian company and makes beauty products with Korean technology. This shampoo is effective in cleaning your hair and scalp gently and removing the dirt and oil deposited in your head. It also provides nourishment to your hair and prevents further damage.
- This shampoo is gentle on your hair and provides it with the optimum nourishment.
- Contains ingredients like argan oil, camellia and white lotus extracts it boosts natural hair growth and tames the frizz.
- It works equally well on dry as well as oily scalp and this shampoo is FDA approved.
- It repairs dull and damaged hair making it lustrous and shiny.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones and harmful chemicals and is also cruelty free
- It is suitable for all hair types and can be used by both sexes.
- It is quite affordable.
06. Mamaearth Argan & Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
Mamaearth Argan & Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo For Dry & Frizzy Hair, with Argan & Apple Cider Vinegar for Frizz-Free & Stronger Hair, is a good shampoo from the brand Mama Earth. This shampoo has good ingredients like Vitamin E, and Vitamin B5 and helps in reducing dryness and split ends. It also contains argan oil and glycerine that nourishes your dry hair and removes the frizz effectively.
- It cleanses your hair and scalp gently and effectively
- The apple cider vinegar helps in repairing the split ends
- The vitamins in the shampoo nourish your hair and provide optimum moisture
- It is dermatologically tested and can be used on chemically treated hair.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals and is free from dyes and mineral oil.
- It is suitable for all hair types and both men and women can use it.
- It is also quite affordable.
07. Plum Avocado Soft Cleanse Shampoo
Plum Avocado Soft Cleanse Shampoo for Frizz-Free Hair, Contains Argan Oil, Shea Butter & Vitamin B5 is another great shampoo by the brand Plum. It also contains vitamins A, D & E giving more bangs for your buck. It acts quickly on dry damaged hair and reduces the split ends. It contains aloe vera that restores the moisture in your hair making it shiny and glossy.
- This shampoo is approved by the FDA and can be used in all seasons and weather conditions
- It helps minimise hair breakage and split ends leaving you with healthy hair
- It removes the oil and build-up in your scalp leaving your head feeling clean.
- It tames the frizz and helps moisturise the hair for that natural healthy look.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals and is cruelty-free.
- It is quite affordable and is suitable for all hair types. Both men and women can use it.
08. WOW Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
WOW Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo for Dry Hair/Dandruff/Hair Loss/Hair Growth/Frizzy Hair is a great shampoo from the brand Wow. It contains ingredients like argan oil which fights effectively against dry hair. It contains vitamin B5 along with vitamin E which nourishes the hair from deep within. It also is made from other important oils like almond oil, and jojoba oil and contains aloe vera extracts making it a very effective shampoo.
- This shampoo is ideal for dry hair that is prone to breakage as it keeps your hair shaft from splitting
- It also works well on chemically treated hair and gently restores your hair health
- This shampoo also reduces frizz and makes your hair lustrous
- It is formulated to help with extra dry hair and it moisturises your hair deeply.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals and is made from natural ingredients.
- It is suitable for all hair types and both men and women can use it. It is affordable.
09. Coco Soul Shampoo
Coco Soul Shampoo | With Coconut & Ayurveda | Free from Paraben, Sulphate, Mineral Oil & Silicones is a nice shampoo that has all the right ingredients. Its formulation is from an ayurvedic recipe and contains ingredients like virgin coconut oil, Kikirindiya, and Godapara that work on your hair. This shampoo repairs any damage is done to your hair and is quite effective in stopping hair loss. It also protects your hair from further damage by protecting the hair tips and the hair shaft.
- This shampoo makes your hair strong and soft
- It also tames the frizz in your hair and restores hair health
- It also clears dandruff from your scalp
- Kikirindiya present in the shampoo boosts blood circulation in the scalp leading to shiny and glossy hair.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals and is 100% vegan.
- It is also cruelty-free and suitable for all hair types. It is very affordable.
10. WOW Skin Science Rice Water Shampoo
WOW Skin Science Rice Water Shampoo – Damaged, Dry and Frizzy Hair – With Rice Water, Rice Keratin & Lavender Oil is another great shampoo by the brand Woe. It has ingredients like Lavender oil and rice keratin that are very beneficial to the hair. This shampoo is very hydrating is an answer to dry hair problems. It clears the dirt on your scalp and strengthens the hair strands giving your hair a lustrous appearance.
- Rice keratin helps the roots of your hair making them stronger
- It leaves your hair feeling soft and shiny
- It works on damaged and dry hair restoring its health to its former glory
- It minimises hair breakage and brittleness.
- It contains no parabens, sulphates, silicones or harmful chemicals and is cruelty-free and vegan.
- It is suitable for all hair types and can be used by both men and women.
- It is also very affordable.
The list of best shampoos according to the dermatologist above is certainly not exhaustive but by looking into the shampoos I have mentioned you will get an idea of the ingredients that need to be present to make for an effective shampoo. To elaborate on this further I have talked about how to buy shampoo and what buying strategies matter.
Let’s start with the basics – What is dry hair?
What is dry hair?
When your hair doesn’t get or retain enough moisture it loses its sheen and it appears frizzy and dull that is when dry hair develops. Dry hair can occur at any age and as we grow older the likelihood of developing it increases. The hair consists of 3 layers. If you have healthy hair then the natural oils in the outer layers protect the inner layers.
They also reflect light making your hair look lustrous and shiny. But if your hair is dry the outer layer breaks down making your hair look dull and lifeless. Shiny and glossy hair is a hallmark of healthy hair. Dry hair can be caused by a variety of factors including environmental conditions and bad hair habits.
I have discussed the causes of dry hair. I hope you find it informative so please keep reading.
Causes of dry hair
There are many causes of dry hair and you might suffer from a combination of factors and not just from one reason. Environmental conditions also affect the hair. Climates like dry, hot weather can lead to dry hair as the moisture from your hair evaporates very quickly leaving your hair dry.
Certain hair practices like washing your hair too frequently can cause dry hair as shampoo is a drying agent. Swimming too often in chlorinated and salty water strips your hair of all its natural oils making it rough and dull. Dyeing your hair often, using electric straighteners and curling irons can make your hair dry and brittle.
Of course, certain underlying medical conditions can also cause your hair to become dry. Conditions like hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism or Menkes syndrome for that matter. In such cases, you will need a doctor to properly diagnose you and medical intervention becomes necessary. In the following paragraph, I discuss how to treat dry hair.
How to treat dry hair?
Here are some changes you can make in your routine or habits that would yield better results and improve your hair health considerably. More often than not dry hair is due to our bad habits and ignorance and a change in routine can usually fix it. If you are washing your hair very frequently then cut it down 2 times a week. Dermatologists also recommend only 2 washes a week.
Use conditioner along with shampoo, don’t skip it. Buy shampoo and conditioner that suits your hair type the most. Avoid chemically treating your hair, avoid using straighteners and electric curlers and blow dry your hair less frequently. Protect your hair from sun damage by wearing a hat whenever you step out.
If you go swimming often then you can wear a swimming cap to protect your hair from the chlorinated water. Avoid long-term exposure to dry or windy climates. Frequently oil your hair from the root to the tips. Also, buy shampoos that moisturise dry hair. I have made a list of shampoos that will help you in doing that.
But before that let’s discuss the ingredients that need to be in your shampoo to moisturise your hair without drying it out.
Ingredients that will work on dry hair
Moisturising shampoos should be enriched with oils like argan oil, coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, lavender oil, Avocado oil, almond oil, olive oil etc. to be effective. Vitamin E plays a huge role in deeply hydrating your hair and nourishing it from within. Aloe vera is another ingredient that is very good for hair and is suitable for most hair types.
It is a gel that is packed with multiple vitamins and minerals that help the hair naturally. Glycerine and its chemical compounds too moisturise your hair deeply and solve all your dry hair problems. Certain fatty alcohols are good for your hair as well they lock in the moisture in your hair.
Alcohols like Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol and Stearyl alcohol are very good for maintaining healthy hair. Any alcohol starting from C or S is good for your hair, especially dry hair. Avoid shampoos and conditioners that have parabens, fillers, phthalates, artificial fragrances and mineral oil.
Say no to shampoos that contain Isopropyl alcohol, Propanol, Propyl alcohol, SD alcohol 40. Basically, any alcohol that has a “prop” in its name. These will dry out your dry hair further making it more brittle and susceptible to damage. In the following paragraph, I have discussed shampoos that moisturise dry hair and resolve dry hair problems.
How to buy an dermatologist-recommended shampoo for thinning hair or dry hair?
To buy an effective shampoo it would be best to focus on the ingredients rather than on the brand name. From the paragraphs above you can understand what are all the important ingredients that need to go into a shampoo to make it effective. Vitamins like B5 enhance the health of your hair and reduce hair fall dramatically making it one of the best ingredients you can ask for in a shampoo.
Once you look into the ingredient list always look into the shelf life of the product. Do not buy expired products especially if you are buying online. Always buy shampoos that are at the peak of their shelf life. Never buy shampoos that have seals broken or tampered with. In case you get such shampoos delivered to you it would be prudent of you to return them.
And never waste your money on very expensive products. Affordable great quality shampoos can be found online and offline if you look for them patiently. It is a myth that expensive products make for good quality and offer you better results. Good skincare or hair care doesn’t have to come at a great cost.
In the following paragraphs, I have given some tips on using shampoos as many of us regularly make mistakes while shampooing our hair leading to increased hair fall.
How to use your shampoo effectively?
So many people suffer from hair loss despite paying a lot of attention and money to their hair because of bad hair habits that are certainly overlooked. I have written about them and if you are doing the same maybe it’s time you reflected and changed immediately.
First and foremost always dilute your shampoo. I don’t care what they say on the bottle, never apply the shampoo directly to your wet hair. Even dermatologists advise the same. Always dilute it in water and then apply it to your wet hair. Once you finish washing your hair you can apply a conditioner. A leave-in conditioner is better than a rinse-off conditioner as it nourishes your hair for a long time.
Never comb your wet hair to remove the tangles. Your hair will be elastic at this time and will drop off easily. It also results in increased hair loss. Instead, dry your hair using a cotton shirt and not your towel. Wait till your hair is completely dry then use a wide-toothed comb to gently comb your hair.
When you are using the hairdryer never blow hot air over your hair. This will dry out your hair faster leaving your hair more dry and brittle. Instead, dry your hair by switching to the cold air option. And hold the hairdryer at a distance and not very close to your hair. This is the right method to take care of your hair and your hair will thank you for it.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article on Dermatologists’ recommended shampoo for dry hair in India. Dry hair is caused due to a host of factors and by developing good hair habits you can salvage your hair and restore it completely. Dry hair is one of the easiest problems to tackle and there are many remedies available for it.
Do let me know which shampoo you bought after reading my article. How was your experience? Any shampoo will provide you results only after continuous use of more than 2 weeks. So, I hope my article was helpful in guiding you in taking proper care of your hair and you were able to benefit from my tips.
Frequently Asked Questions