Are you looking for the best medicated anti-dandruff shampoo in India 2022? Then, you are in the right place. Dandruff is the white dusty flakes you often find to your horror on your dress, especially your shoulders. These dusty flakes sit on your dress, fall onto your face without your knowledge and make you feel dirty. I have seen dandruff fall into people’s teacups leading to embarrassing situations.
You may or may not be suffering from severe dandruff, but one thing is for sure there is nothing pleasant about having a scalp full of dandruff. It makes you feel itchy, you end up scratching your head often and it leads to hair loss in severe and prolonged situations where you scratch your head constantly.
In most cases, people suffering from this basic problem don’t even know what dandruff is. That is why in this blog post I talk about dandruff, causes and the medicated shampoos that fight dandruff effectively giving you a complete solution.
So, then let’s start with the basics – “What is dandruff?”
What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a condition that causes the scalp to flake and it isn’t contagious but can lead to embarrassing situations. When the scalp sheds small bits of dry skin they turn into white dusty flakes which are called dandruff. Dandruff doesn’t signify poor hygiene and is not caused due to poor hygiene either but it becomes more prominent when you don’t brush or wash your hair regularly.
There are many reasons behind dandruff and a complete cure sometimes requires a lifestyle change. In the following paragraph, I have discussed the cause of dandruff and hope this helps in treating your scalp better.
Causes of dandruff
There are many reasons behind dandruff and there is no one reason or one situation causing dandruff. If you use too many hair products like serums and styling gels it will lead to a build-up of dead cells in the scalp that will become a fertile ground for fungus and bacteria that in turn causes dandruff.
Skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema also give rise to dandruff and lead to more fungal growth in your scalp. You can get it from fungal infections like Malassezia which is dandruff causing fungi that feed on the oils of your hair and scalp. Studies have shown that excess stress can also lead to an increase in dandruff.
Dandruff that is present on your scalp, in turn, causes acne and that is the reason why you will find most dermatologists checking your scalp as well. The flakes and build-up fall from your scalp and land on your face blocking the pores and giving rise to acne.
In the following paragraph, I have discussed the ingredients that work effectively against dandruff, especially if it is because of fungi.
The ingredients that work against dandruff effectively
When you are buying a medicated anti-dandruff shampoo over the counter make sure these ingredients or a combination of these ingredients are present in the shampoo. It is a good strategy to check the ingredient list rather than go by the brand names or get carried away by the ads you see on TV and online.
- Ketoconazole is an effective ingredient that is anti-fungal and is suitable for an age
- Selenium sulphide also has antifungal properties and helps reduce the production of oil by the glands in the scalp
- Zinc pyrithione is known to slow down the growth of yeast and fungi like Melasezzia
- Salicylic acid helps remove the build-up and excess skin cells in the scalp
- Tea tree oil has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties and also is very useful in controlling the production of excess sebum in the scalp.
I have made a list of medicated shampoos often recommended by dermatologists to treat dandruff. They contain ingredients that I have mentioned above or have ingredients that exhibit similar properties making them quite effective in treating dandruff.
List of the best medicated anti-dandruff shampoo in India
Following is the list of the best medicated anti-dandruff shampoo available in the Indian Market
01. Alniche Nizraal 2% Shampoo Solution
Alniche Nizraal 2% Shampoo Solution is a good shampoo from the brand Organext Pharmaceuticals. It is an effective shampoo that contains Ketoconazole at the required strength making it suitable for all hair types and tackling dandruff effectively. It is gentle on your hair and cleanses your scalp and protects your hair from further damage.
- It is made with Ketoconazole and is quite effective.
- It is suitable for all hair types.
- It is packed under hygienic conditions.
- It is gentle on your hair and protects it from further damage.
02. Scalpe Pro Anti-dandruff Shampoo
Scalpe Pro Expert Anti Dandruff Shampoo is an amazing shampoo from the brand Scalpe Pro. It contains ingredients like Climbazole and ZPTO (Zinc Pyrithione) which makes it very effective in fighting against dandruff. It also contains a conditioning base that makes sure your scalp and hair are well moisturised. This product is versatile and treats mild to severe cases of dandruff.
- Contains effective ingredients like Climbazole and ZPTO that attacks the root cause of dandruff.
- Also has Piroctone Olamine which improves the hair shaft.
- This shampoo relieves you from itchiness irritation and dandruff.
- It also reduces hair breakage and hair fall.
- Since it has a conditioner you can use it daily if you want as it won’t dry the hair.
03. Bodywise Intense Dandruff Relief Kit
Bodywise Anti dandruff shampoo is a very good medicated anti-dandruff shampoo from the brand body wise and is co-created with dermatologists making it highly effective. It fights the inflammation itchiness and fungal infections present in the scalp. It also fights dandruff caused due to excess oil in the scalp. It deep cleans your scalp without harming your hair.
- This shampoo is developed by trichologists and is allergen and cruelty free.
- It is a vegan shampoo that deep conditions and strengthens your hair.
- It reduces, flaking, itching and scalp inflammation.
- Suitable for all hair types.
04. Glenmark Anti Dandruff Expert Shampoo
GLENMARK SCALPE Anti Dandruff Expert Shampoo is a great shampoo from the famous pharmaceutical brand Glenmark. This shampoo contains Ketoconazole and ZPTO in the required strength. It doesn’t contain any other chemicals or ingredients and fights dandruff effectively. This shampoo can remove even the most stubborn dandruff present on your scalp.
- This shampoo is recommended by hair experts and dermatologists.
- It offers a 3 way action by treating dandruff, conditioning the hair and promoting hair strength.
- This shampoo is ideal for both men and women.
- It is also suitable for all hair types.
05. SebaMed Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Sebamed Anti Dandruff Shampoo is another great shampoo by the brand Sebamed. If you have an oily scalp and suffer from dandruff then this shampoo is just made for you. Like its name, this shampoo specialises in dandruff of oily skin. It is formulated by dermatologists and it penetrates deep into your scalp and removes all the build-up present there.
- This shampoo ensures deep cleaning of the scalp and removes excess sebum present.
- It also inhibits the growth of dandruff causing fungi.
- It is a gentle cleanser that maintains the Ph balance of your scalp.
- Regular use of this shampoo will prevent dandruff from forming in the first place.
- It is very gentle on your hair and is best suited for oily hair.
06. Alloes Anti-Dandruff Ketoclean Shampoo
Alloes Anti-Dandruff Ketoclean Shampoo Treatment for Long-Lasting Relief of Itching and Flaking Scalp is made with Ketoconazoleat 1% strength making it very effective. This is a gentle shampoo that lathers a lot and spreads easily and evenly on your hair and scalp making it very easy to wash your hair. It is suitable for all hair types even colour treated hair and hair that has undergone chemical processes.
- This shampoo is salon tested and has proven to fight dandruff effectively.
- It is gentle on your hair.
- This shampoo is free from parabens, silicones and other harmful chemicals.
- It helps your hair retain moisture after shampooing your hair.
07. Selsun Suspension Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Selsun Suspension Anti Dandruff Shampoo is a great shampoo from the brand Selsun. This shampoo is highly effective because it contains selenium sulphide which is one of the best ingredients when it comes to fighting dandruff. It also provides relief from itching and a scaly scalp. It also works on preventing dandruff from coming ever again Made by Abbott pharmaceuticals this shampoo is medicated and directly acts on your dandruff.
- This is a gentle shampoo and is suitable for all hair types
- It controls oiliness in the scalp and hair
- It targets dandruff causing fungi in your scalp and controls the flaking
- It provides relief from an itchy scalp
- Can be used by both men and women and this shampoo was launched in 1951 making it one of the oldest medicated anti-dandruff shampoos in India.
08. Selsun Daily Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Selsun Daily Anti Dandruff Shampoo for Dry Scalp is also from the same brand Selsun manufactured by Abbott Pharmaceuticals and is meant for dry scalp as it has a conditioner added to it. You can also use this shampoo daily and it won’t dry your hair out. This shampoo is gentle on your hair and clears away any build-up on your scalp giving the pores in your scalp a breath of fresh air.
- This is a gentle shampoo that can be used daily.
- It contains a conditioner along with a selenium sulphide suspension.
- It provides relief from an itchy and scaly scalp.
- It is recommended by dermatologists.
- It is PH balanced and is sulphate and paraben-free.
09. Keraglo AD Bottle of Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Keraglo AD is a medicated shampoo just for dandruff. It contains Ketoconazole at a slightly high concentration that is to be used in cases of very severe dandruff. It contains no other ingredient except for Ketoconazole and has a conditioner for a base. This helps moisturise your hair and doesn’t dry it instead. This shampoo is recommended for patients with severe cases of dandruff.
- This shampoo contains Ketoconazole at a slightly high concentration.
- It is very effective in treating severe cases of dandruff.
- This shampoo needs to be used for 3 days up to 4 weeks to clear all dandruff.
- It can be used by both men and women.
10. Salisia KT Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Salisia KT Anti Dandruff Shampoo is an effective shampoo containing two powerful ingredients Ketoconazole and salicylic acid. Salicylic acid breaks down the lumps and build-up on your scalp reducing the itchiness. It also cleans your scalp deeply and the Ketoconazole directly attacks the fungi causing dandruff on your scalp. Do a patch test before using this product.
- This shampoo is gentle on your hair because of ingredients like aloe vera and D-panthenol.
- It treats Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp effectively.
- It prevents dandruff from coming back again.
- It reduces flaking and forms a protective covering over your scalp.
The list above is not exhaustive but these are the medicated and anti-dandruff shampoos you can purchase both online and offline. The shampoos I have listed above can be used by both men and women and most of them are suitable for all hair types and don’t have any harmful chemicals in them. I have mentioned where certain shampoos are effective for only 1 hair type.
In the following paragraph, I have made a buying guide elaborating the factors that you need to keep in mind while buying a medicated shampoo.
How to buy?
If you want an effective shampoo that acts against dandruff in your hair then you need to focus on the ingredient list and not the brand name. There are many medicated anti-dandruff shampoos available in the market but buying shampoos that are hypoallergenic, free from dyes and have no or very little fragrance has been proven to be effective in the long run.
Try to buy a medicated shampoo that is paraben and SLS free and only has the ingredients I have mentioned before. If you are buying offline you can also discuss with your local pharmacist before proceeding to buy. Once you have finalised a shampoo look into the shelf of the shampoo.
Buy shampoos that are recently manufactured and are in the prime of their shelf life. Do not buy shampoos that are close to the expiration date. Medicated shampoos are quite affordable and you are getting very good deals on them on Amazon so you don’t have to splurge as far as medicated anti-dandruff shampoos are concerned.
How to use it?
Usually, a dermatologist would provide you with instructions on how to use the medicated anti-dandruff shampoo. Especially in terms of the frequency. But if you buy it over the counter without a prescription then you can follow the instructions on the package. If you are not clear then it is generally recommended to use a medicated antidandruff shampoo twice a week.
This shampoo needs to be used sparingly and once a week for mild cases of dandruff and should not exceed twice a week for severe and stubborn cases of dandruff. You need to lather the shampoo with water and then apply it to your wet hair as opposed to directly applying it. If you wash your hair more than twice a week then you can alternate it with your regular shampoo.
Once your dandruff situation improves or gets completely cleared then you must stop using this shampoo. This shampoo is for temporary purposes only until your scalp is cleared from dandruff and is not meant to be used lifelong. This means you need to stop using the shampoo even if you have half a bottle left.
In the following paragraph, I have busted some myths surrounding dandruff and this hopefully helps you understand dandruff a whole lot better.
Busting some myths on dandruff
- Always oiling your scalp will keep dandruff at bay – This is a myth. You need to know what causes dandruff for you in the first place. If it is from a dry scalp flaking then applying coconut or olive oil might help the situation but if your dandruff is due to a yeast/ fungal infection that feeds on the oil in your scalp you might actually end up exacerbating the problem.
- Dandruff is contagious – This is a myth. Dandruff is not contagious and cannot spread from one head to another.
- Dandruff is seasonal or gets worse in certain seasons – This is a myth. Dandruff is not seasonal. Though some people might notice an increase in the flaking in winters it has more to do with a dry scalp and the less humid conditions rather than the season itself. Also, many people cut down on shampooing their hair during the cold months and this results in a build-up of dirt and flakes in the scalp leading to an increase in dandruff. In summer scalps are oilier with sweat increasing the flaking. People deal with dandruff year-round.
- Dandruff always comes from a dry scalp – This is a partial myth. A dry scalp is one of the reasons for dandruff but is not the only reason. An oily scalp can also give you dandruff. Malassezia is a yeast that feeds on the oil in your scalp and causes dandruff. They practically thrive on an oily scalp leading to an increase in dandruff.
- Dandruff is present only on the scalp – This is a myth. Dandruff doesn’t occur only on your scalp. It can occur in places like your eyebrows, eyelashes or ears. Flaky skin is also commonly present on your chest and in places you have dense body hair.
- Dandruff is caused due to poor hygiene – This is a myth. Your hygiene or lack of one doesn’t lead to dandruff. Dandruff is a condition that is caused due to many factors and is the result of fungal infections.
I hope busting these common myths on dandruff made you get a better picture of this commonly misunderstood problem. Though almost everyone suffers from dandruff very few people have understood the problem entirely causing many myths to arise.
Dandruff is a common problem affecting more males than females. It is one problem most dermatologists and trichologists come across on a daily basis. Surprisingly, dandruff is neither contagious nor does it lead to other hair problems. It occurs due to many reasons and there are many medicated shampoos with active ingredients that help tackle this problem.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article on dandruff and the medicated anti dandruff shampoos available on the Indian market. Do let me know how your experience was shopping for the right shampoo. You can see results only after using the shampoo for 3 consecutive weeks and remember to stop using once your dandruff is cleared.
Frequently Asked Questions