Have you suffered from dry or brittle hair? Have you found yourself wondering why there is a sudden hair loss? Everything is fine and dandy but suddenly you start to experience hair troubles like itchy scalp, dandruff, increased hair fall, brittle hair etc. So, if you are looking for the best chemical free shampoo in India? Then, you are in the right place. As far as you are concerned you haven’t changed your routine or your diet for that matter.
Why then is there a sudden outburst of hair problems? Maybe the answer is much closer than you think. The shampoo you use regularly may be the cause of your problems. How many of us actually know what goes into our shampoo? Do we even check the expiry date before buying? We just go by the brand, look at the price and happily place it in our shopping baskets.
No wonder then, when our hair problems set in we start to wonder what is happening. That is why in this blog post I talk about chemical free shampoos in India that are made from natural ingredients and help your hair and scalp become well.
So, let us start with the basics – What are chemical free shampoos?
What are chemical free shampoos?
Chemical free shampoos are shampoos that are made from natural ingredients that are beneficial to your hair and scalp and are free from harmful and toxic chemicals like fillers, parabens, sulphates and formaldehyde. These shampoos to a certain extent are hypoallergenic and won’t inflame any allergies you might have.
I have also elaborated on the harmful effects of chemically laden shampoos and this should give you a better idea of how it affects your health. Some chemicals are also known to affect your general health as well making them extremely toxic.
Harmful effects of chemical laden shampoos
- Chemicals like SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) and SLES are common ingredients of shampoos. These are also found in bathroom cleaners, detergents, floor cleaners, etc. These chemicals are so harsh that they completely strip your hair from all natural oils and moisture leaving it dry and brittle
- Parabens act as preservatives in shampoos and work to increase the shelf life. However, they are so harmful that they enter the body and mimic the effects of hormones like oestrogen. They also increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen (cancer causing agent). They are labelled as quaternium-15 on your shampoo bottle. The reason why they are added to shampoos is that they act as preservatives extending the shelf life.
- Petrochemicals are generally not added to shampoos but it is still better to keep a lookout for this ingredient.
- Phthalates are carcinogenic and are added to shampoos to make them spread easily over your hair and scalp. They also give strength to the fragrance making it last longer. But prolonged use of this chemical affects your general health and enters your body and messes with your hormones.
The chemicals I have listed above are very toxic and harmful and many of them have been banned by the FDA and the EU. I have elaborated on the benefits of chemical free shampoos that are made from natural ingredients.
Benefits of natural, chemical free shampoo
- Natural shampoos don’t have any side effects and certainly don’t mess with your hormones
- They are made from natural ingredients that will boost the health of your hair and scalp
- There is no risk of allergic reactions because of natural ingredients
- They are better for the environment as they are made of materials that are biodegradable
- They protect your hair and scalp, keep it moisturised and well balanced
Next, I have discussed the best chemical free shampoo available on the market.
List of the best chemical free shampoo in India
Following is the list of the best chemical free shampoo available in the Indian market
01. Herbal Natural Khadi Amla Bhringraj Shampoo
Khadi Natural Ayurvedic Amla and Bhringraj Hair Cleanser is a great shampoo by the Indian Ayurvedic brand Khadi Naturals. This shampoo is made from natural ingredients and is free from parabens, phthalates, SLS and formaldehyde. This shampoo contains ingredients like Amla and bhringraj which are very powerful ingredients when it comes to the hair. It also contains ingredients like Shikakai, Neem, Brahmi, lemon, reetha and aloe vera to name a few.
- This shampoo has been enriched with vitamin C.
- It helps stimulate hair growth.
- It is perfect for rejuvenating dry and brittle hair.
- It also prevents dandruff from occurring.
- It is suitable for all hair types and can be used on chemically treated and coloured hair.
02. Soulflower Shampoo Bar Reetha Coconut Milk
Soulflower Shampoo Bar Reetha Coconut Milk is a great shampoo in the form of a soap. It is made from natural ingredients and is made by hand. It is not mass produced in a factory but is crafted by hand. It is ideal for oily hair and helps you maintain a clean and healthy scalp. It is free from harmful chemicals and toxins and is a vegan product.
- Maintains the oil balance in the scalp.
- It promotes hair growth and prevents the greying of the hair.
- It soothes itchy dry scalp and retains the natural moisture in your hair.
- Conditions the hair from the root to the tip and controls hair fall.
03. StBotanica Hair Repair Shampoo
St Botanica Hair Repair Shampoo is a good shampoo from the brand St Botanica. It contains no harmful chemicals and is a cruelty free product that is not tested on animals. This shampoo repairs process and distressed hair. If you suffer from dry brittle hair with split ends then this shampoo is meant to address these very problems. It is also free from mineral oils and SLS compounds. It contains natural oils like argan oil and almond oil.
- It cleanses and conditions your hair at the same time.
- It leaves no residue and oil build-up on your scalp.
- All the natural ingredients it contains are very good for your hair health.
- It moisturises and nourishes your hair deeply.
- It also protects your hair and reduces frizz.
04. Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Shampoo for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control
Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Shampoo for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control, with Onion Oil & Plant Keratin, is a great shampoo from the brand mama Earth. It contains ingredients like onion oil, vitamin E and plant keratin. They are also a cruelty free company that believes in recycling more plastic than they actually produce. This shampoo is suitable for all hair types and it strengthens the hair and reduces frizz.
- Onion oil actively reduces hair fall, stimulates hair growth and rejuvenates your hair follicles.
- Plant keratin naturally strengthens your hair and reduces frizz.
- This shampoo prevents dryness and is very gentle on your hair.
- It can be used on chemically treated and coloured hair.
- It is free from chemicals, parabens, sulphates, silicones, mineral oils and dyes.
05. Khadi Mauri Herbal Amla and Bhringraj Herbal Shampoo
Khadi Mauri Herbal Amla and Bhringraj Herbal Shampoo is a good shampoo from the brand Khadi. This shampoo is made from all natural ingredients like amla, bhringraj, neem, tulsi and henna. The shampoo is based on an Ayurvedic recipe that strengthens the hair and addresses all the problems faced by your scalp. This shampoo is hydrating and doesn’t dry your scalp leaving your hair moisturised and well-nourished.
- This herbal shampoo is excellent for preventing hair damage, hair breakage and encourages hair growth.
- The shampoo deep cleans the scalp and the pores giving your hair follicles plenty of space to grow.
- This shampoo conditions your hair from root to tip.
- It also provides deep nourishment to your hair.
- This shampoo is completely plant-based and doesn’t contain any chemicals.
06. Bella Vita Organic Growth Protein Shampoo For Hair Volume
Bella Vita Organic Growth Protein Shampoo For Hair Volume, Hair Fall, Anti Dandruff, Frizz Control, Shine & Strength is a shampoo made from natural ingredients that address all your hair problems. This shampoo is inspired by an Ayurvedic recipe and contains ingredients like onion oil, aloe vera extracts coffee and black seed oil. This shampoo is gentle on your hair and reduces damage, greying and hair breakage.
- This shampoo contains many natural ingredients making it rich in folic acid, Vitamin A, K & C.
- It treats dry scalp effectively and gently hydrates the hair.
- This shampoo reduces hair breakage and hair damage and revitalises the root of your hair.
- It is free from harmful chemicals and is safe for use by everyone and anyone.
- It regulates the oil production in your scalp and reduces any build-up.
07. Kama Ayurveda Himalayan Deodar Hair Cleanser
Kama Ayurveda Himalayan Deodar Hair Cleanser is a great shampoo from the brand Kama Ayurveda. This shampoo is made from natural ingredients and contains expensive ingredients like Himalayan Cedar Wood. It is highly effective when it comes to addressing all your hair issues. It is also free from artificial colourants, chemicals, dyes, petrochemicals and fragrances. It is made from an Ayurvedic recipe and is very good for your hair.
- This shampoo repairs thin and weak hair.
- It is gentle on your scalp relieves hair loss.
- It promotes hair growth and nourishes your hair.
- This product is cruelty-free and is certified by the EU.
- It enhances the texture and shine of your hair.
08. Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser Bhringraj & Shikakai
Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser Bhringraj & Shikakai is made from all-natural ingredients and is very effective in promoting good hair growth. It controls hair thinning, breakage and reduces hair loss. It contains no harmful chemicals and is free from parabens, sulphates, petrochemicals and phthalates. It also has eco-friendly packaging. It is a cruelty-free product with ethically sourced ingredients and the brand believes in the philosophy of clean beauty.
- Bhringraj is recognised in Ayurveda as a potent ingredient that improves hair growth and reduces hair fall.
- It is gentle on the hair and maintains the natural oils present in your hair.
- It controls dandruff.
- It soothes the scalp and prevents any dryness.
- All the ingredients in this shampoo are good for hair health and they strengthen the roots.
09. WOW Skin Science Onion Shampoo for Hair Growth and Hair Fall Control
WOW Skin Science Onion Shampoo for Hair Growth and Hair Fall Control is a great shampoo from the brand Wow. It contains many natural ingredients like Red Onion Seed Oil Extract, Black Seed Oil & Pro-Vitamin B5. This shampoo gently cleanses your scalp and helps you in acquiring strong and lustrous hair. It also cleans the build-up in your scalp and is free from harmful chemicals, parabens, silicones, SLS and phthalates.
- It moisturises and protects weak hair.
- It reduces hair fall to a great extent.
- It is enriched with vitamins like Vitamin E and vitamin B5.
- Red Onion extract is known to improve blood circulation in the scalp.
- It improves the strength of your hair and the quality of your hair strands.
The list above is not exhaustive but I have listed shampoos that are natural and chemical-free. You can find these shampoos online and offline and they are a great addition to your hair care routine. In the following paragraph, I have discussed a buying guide about the chemical free shampoo in India that will help you in selecting a very good shampoo for yourself.
How to buy?
When you are buying chemical free shampoo in India I recommend looking at the ingredient list thoroughly. If there are certain ingredients you do not understand then you can always Google them on your phone to learn more. Avoid harmful ingredients and chemicals and don’t get smitten by the ads you see on TV or online.
Look into the manufacture and expiry date. Always buy shampoos that are at the peak of their shelf life especially shampoos with natural ingredients. Do not buy shampoos that are nearing their expiry dates. Opt for shampoos that are closer to the manufacturing date.
The price of the shampoos too matter. You don’t have to pay an exorbitant amount for a good quality shampoo. Many of the shampoos that are made from natural ingredients are reasonably priced. It is best to buy shampoos that are made in India rather than imported ones; that way you will be buying shampoos that are very further from their expiry date.
Do not buy shampoos that will dry your hair, instead opt for shampoos that will moisturise your hair and maintain the oil balance. This way even if you wash your hair frequently you will not suffer from a dry scalp or experience problems relating to dandruff.
Chemical free shampoos are plenty on the market and many of them are made from an Ayurvedic recipe. They are safer and less harmful than regular shampoos that contain a lot of toxic chemicals. Thankfully there are many natural ingredients available that are very good for your scalp and hair thereby making for an effective shampoo.
I hope you enjoyed my article on the best chemical free shampoos in India. When it comes to shampoos you can choose from herbal ayurvedic shampoos or shampoos from natural ingredients. Do let me know which shampoo you bought and how was your experience.
Frequently Asked Questions