Periods are considered a battle for all women with their own bodies. There are a range of emotions women experience and ‘symptoms’ they deal with at times during periods. While some may feel absolutely fine, others may endure extreme pain. It depends entirely on the individual body. Most women tend to turn to food to get rid of their discomfort, so wondering what to eat during periods makes sense
Many women hear the ancient belief that sour foods such as Curd and yogurt during periods can cause discomfort. Still, Curd is believed to contain a lot of probiotics that help promote a healthy immune system. One of the most confusing aspects of periods is knowing what to eat and avoid. Some countries do not consider periods regular even today. Even today, many people believe that their thinking in this area is backward, despite calling themselves educated. The women who go through their periods should also accept various things, like sleeping in a separate couch, not being allowed to touch religious objects, not going out of their house during those days, and what foods not to eat during that time. The traditional prohibition of eating or touching many foods during menstruation included Curd. Curd consumption during periods is believed to increase the blood circulation and cause discomfort, but is that true? Read on to find out!
Is it safe to consume Curd during periods?
Yes, the consumption of Curd during menstruation is safe. It is definitely a myth that one cannot eat Curd during periods. As a result of research, health and medicine myths are being dispelled. Despite this, there are still many myths about menstrual cycles that persist. It is also widely believed that eating Curd or any other sour food during periods can cause problems. When eating Curd, the period flow increases, resulting in more stomach pain. Experts also believe Curd to contain probiotic properties that can help boost the amount of good bacteria in an individual’s gut. Thus, it is extremely important to eat the right foods when you are menstruating, since food can help regulate the body’s hormone levels, ensuring the right flow.
When we eat Curd during our periods, what happens?
Researchers have found that the number of women who have consumed 1,200 mg of calcium each day have 30% fewer pre-menstrual symptoms (PMS) such as headaches, cramps etc. A natural calcium source, Curd helps reduce discomfort and cramps associated with menstruation. Curd is ideally beneficial to your health especially when you are on periods. Your body gets the nutrients it needs while you feel refreshed as it eases muscle pain. Calcium is found in Curd, so it’s a good way to fix your calcium levels during your period. As calcium is present in Curd, mood swings, depression, and other forms of depression are avoided. The benefits of eating Curd include reducing period pain, providing comfort, and enhancing your mood. There has been some evidence that maintaining a perfect balance can help decrease PMS symptoms such as moodiness and bloating. The almond or lentil alternative to Curd is good if you don’t want to eat dairy.
Do not consume Curd, tamarind, or pickles during menstruation: Is it a myth?
Menstruation is accompanied by certain dietary restrictions in certain parts of India, such as the avoidance of Curd, pickles etc. during this time. As such, these foods are believed to stop or disturb menstruation. When you experience bloating or acidity before your period, you are advised to avoid these foods or reduce them during your period because they can exacerbate the problem. A healthy diet is a key to preventing these issues.
Curd: what makes it so good!
Yogurt is packed with calcium, which helps bones and the body stay strong. Yoghurt is also known to reduce bloating and other digestive issues due to its healthy bacteria. Freshly prepared yoghurt can also ease cramps and muscle pain during periods. During periods, Curd tastes best in buttermilk, lassi, or smoothies to hydrate the body and replenish the nutrients lost during menstruation.
Is it okay to eat Curd at night or in the evening?
If you are on your period or prone to coughing and colds, you should not eat Curd at night. Because of Curd’s sweet and sour properties, Ayurveda says that it is not advisable to consume Curd at night because it can cause mucus to grow in the nasal passages. You can reap the benefits of Curd without affecting your health by eating it before or with your breakfast or lunch. If the digestive system is sluggish and ready for sleep, you should avoid yoghurt and Curd at night if you have acid reflux or indigestion. But during the day, when the body functions at its full potential, these foods are healthy for everyone and especially for women on menstrual cycles
If you’re on your period, is eating Curd a good idea?
Curd helps ease cramps, pain, and PMS symptoms. It also helps reduce bloating and mood swings. Curd is best consumed in the form of buttermilk, lassi, or smoothie during the menstrual cycle as it provides hydration and replenishes nutrients.
What Curd Can Do for You
Period cramps can be eased with Curd, which is created by bacterial fermentation.Buttermilk, smoothies, lassi, etc. are excellent ways to consume Curd. Curd hydrates and replenishes nutrients lost while exercising. Curd consumption reduces cholesterol levels, thereby lowering the risk of hypertension and high blood pressure. Consuming Curd will help maintain healthy cholesterol levels and heart health. Additionally, Curd is rich in probiotics that are beneficial for good health
What other benefits does Curd have?
- It increases immunity – Curd is one of the best probiotic foods that contain beneficial microorganisms for our bodies. A probiotic boosts the production of cells that fight infection. During menstruation, it boosts overall immunity and prevents many infections
- Enhances digestion –Curd contains probiotics that help maintain a healthy digestive system. During the fermentation process, lactose is broken down into simpler sugars such as sugar cane juice and fructose, which lactose intolerant individuals can easily digest.
- Good for heart- In addition to reducing cholesterol levels, regular consumption of Curd reduces the risk of hypertension and high blood pressure. By keeping your cholesterol levels in check, you can healthy your heart.
- It is a food that provides energy- The best food you can eat to boost your energy level is Curd. It is a vitamin and mineral-rich food. Antioxidants present in Curd also help reduce period cramps.
How to include Curd in your diet during your period?
- Spiced curd-Adding some spices to plain Curd can add some flavour to it if you’re not a fan. A spice is good for health and adds flavour and aroma to any dish. Spiced Curd can be made simply by mixing plain Curd with rock salt, cumin powder, sugar, and dried mint powder. You can either eat it straight away or along with your meals after mixing it well. When you’re menstruating, chilled Curd soothes your stomach.
- Buttermilk- In India, buttermilk is also a popular drink that’s made differently in different parts of the country. Some make buttermilk by simply adding water to Curd while others season with pepper and salt. Besides the curry leaves, rye seeds, and green chillies, tadka of curry leaves, green chillies and rye is also added in some regions
- Raita-Curd raita is an excellent way to consume it. In addition to adding boondi, which is certainly tasty but very high in calories, you can also add chopped tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers to Curd. You can add salt, pepper, and spices to the Curd by diluting it with water. When you are menstruating, mix all the ingredients together well and eat spoonsful with your meals. It will relieve cramps and stomach pain.
- Smoothie-Making a smoothie from Curd and having it in the morning or evening is a healthier way to include it during your period. You can eat this for a few hours and it is very nutritious. Having a bowl of thick, full fat Curd with two or three fruits you love is a delicious way to start the day. Combine the fruits and Curd together in the tall glass and enjoy. Although the fruits will naturally sweeten the smoothie, you can add honey or sugar to make it sweeter
- Curd rice-The best comfort food is curd rice. A bowl of curd rice is the perfect summer meal when you want something light and filling. The rice mixed with Curd is flavoured with curry leaves, rye seeds, salt and pepper, as well as spices like chilli powder or sambar powder. After storing it in the refrigerator, you can have it later. It can also be stored in the fridge for later consumption. A common way of eating curd rice is at room temperature; it is never served hot. It also helps to reduce cramps in period and thus many women prefer to have curd rice during periods.
Period cramps and pains cannot be entirely avoided by eating certain foods because they are an inevitable part of the cycle. You can, however, take measures to relieve the pain. When you have cramps, you should consider walking or exercising. The heat from electric heating pads can help relieve pain. Others may turn to medications when they don’t find relief from these methods. The majority of people have been misinformed about period cramp pain relievers. When it comes to pain medication, most women are told to avoid taking it during their periods, but if you’re not allergic, you can take it. You should consult your Gynaecologist and undergo a thorough evaluation if you are restricted to bed or need painkillers administered via injection. It is possible for your pain to be relieved with cyclical hormonal pills in most cases
What foods are good for period pain?
As long as you are not menstruating, you should not change your diet. Make sure that your meals include these Indian foods if you wish to make some changes.
- Curd-Additionally, fresh prepared yoghurt can ease cramps and muscle pain during periods. Consuming Curd in buttermilk, smoothie, and curd lassi during menstruation is the best way to hydrate the body and replenish nutrients lost during menstruation.
- Certain vegetables’ rich iron and fibre content, such as beetroot, cabbage, and spinach, makes them essential.
- Nuts like Walnuts (akhrot) and almonds (badam), rich in omega 3 fatty acids are also helpful for people who are on periods and can help them feel less bloated. These are healthier alternatives to other snacks.
- Watermelon fruits- It is good to eat melons and watermelons during periods. Keep yourself hydrated during period will help people to fell less bloated.
- Lemons and Oranges- Citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons are high in fiber, and lemons help when you’re feeling nauseated during menstruation.
A woman’s monthly period is never easy. However, eating the right foods can solve more than half of the problems women experience during their periods. It is so important to avoid certain foods during periods that women forget to eat appropriate foods during this time. You should eat a well-balanced, healthy diet every day, not just during your menstrual period but also during normal days instead of wondering what not to eat. During your period, you can eat a variety of foods that will help you manage the discomfort and pain. Eat dairy products, high-fibre, healthy meals with fruits and vegetables, in place of sugary, salty, and fatty foods, to aid digestion during menstruation and to reclaim what was lost. Thus, some foods can help your symptoms during your menstrual cycle, while others can worsen them. Your specific symptoms and food sensitivities will determine what foods you choose to eat or avoid. This is all about, Can we eat curd during periods?