India’s favourite breakfast is dosa, which is a healthy, tasty, and nutritious dish. It is a South Indian dish made of fermented rice and lentils crepe, with or without stuffing. The dish is very simple, however, making it is not very easy as it requires technique and practice. Dosa is a light breakfast option, which can supply the nutrients required by your body, but at the same time if it sticks to the Tawa while preparing it can add up to your morning rush and can destroy your mood for the whole day. Although a non-stick Tawa or pan can help you with the sticking problem but won’t get that crispy texture. But does that mean you have to avoid eating and making Dosa, no matter how much you like it? Absolutely not! Tawa and batter are the core factors that will determine the taste and texture of your Dosa. The first thing that you must do is to get the best-cast iron Dosa Tawa in India. And how will you know which one is the best cast iron dosa tawa in India? This article will help you out, here you will get to know anything and everything about a cast iron dosa tawa. You will also find a precise and detailed list of the best cast iron dosa tawa in India. But, before jumping into the list, let us try to know some more about dosa tawas.
Types of dosa tawa:
You can mainly find Tawas made of three materials in the market, which include non-stick, cast iron and iron. Let us know about them in details now.
Non-stick Tawa: It is the favourite for the modern-day users. With this type of pan you don’t have to worry about the sticking of your batter. These pans are light in weight, requires minimal maintenance and are easy to use. However, a non-stick pan mostly fails to do justice to the taste and texture of dosa. Besides, these pans should not be overheated as it can release toxic fumes which can further get infused into your food.
Cast iron: It is one of the most popular type of pans which is used in most of the Indian kitchens. These types of pans are considered to be the best for preparing Dosa at home. They are made of pig iron and their handles are not fixed using rivets but are molded. It is commonly seen that this type of pan is passed through generations when maintained properly.
Iron Tawa: This type of Tawas is made by using sheets of iron. They are light in weight and are thinner in comparison to the cast iron. However, while cooking in this type of pan you have to be extremely careful as it has a high chance of burning the food. Although, the taste and texture of the dosas that are made in iron pans are quite similar to those made in cast iron pan.
Why should you choose a cast Iron dosa tawa?
As we discussed before, there are mainly three types of tawas which can be used to make dosas. However, the best and most reliable type is the cast iron pan. They are heavier in weight in comparison to the other options, but they have good heat retention which will help you make the perfect dosa without creating much mess in your kitchen. Although, a cast iron pan requires higher maintenance in comparison to the other options. Like you all know a dosa made in traditional style, by using traditional utensils has an excellent taste and texture. Thus, it is worth the additional effort of maintaining the cast iron pan.
We hope that by now you have understood the importance of getting a cast iron dosa tawa. Now, let us dive in and find out which are the best cast iron dosa tawa in India.
List of the Best Cast Iron Dosa Tawa in India:
Cast iron utensils are part of all Indian kitchens for ages. However, selecting the best-cast iron dosa tawa can be difficult, especially if you don’t have grandmas to give their expert opinion. Since we are talking about expert opinions, here we have listed some of the best-cast iron dosa Tawa in India, after doing a precise product analysis and research on all the options that are available in the market. We hope that this list will help you make a wise decision.
01. Rock Tawa Cast Iron Dosa Tawa
Rock Tawa Cast Iron Dosa Tawa is a perfectly round pan of 12 inches. It is a traditional style of Tawa that not only makes the most perfectly round dosas but also adds nutrition to the foods that are cooked in it. With this pan, you can maintain a healthier diet plan as it requires minimal oil for cooking. So, you can now enjoy thin and crispy dosas without feeling guilty about what you have promised to your dietician. This pan is made out of pre-seasoned cast iron, which will have a smooth and durable base. It also has a skillet-like feature with narrow edges, which will help you flip your crispy dosas easily. Besides, the food that you will cook in it will absolutely come in contact with chemicals and instead will increase the iron content in your food while you are cooking them. You can also save time while you are using this pan as it can heat up really fast and will cook your dosas evenly. It is very durable and can maintain without taking much hassle. You can not just use it for making dosas, but can also make omelettes, pancakes, paranthas, fried food, etc.
- This pan from Rock Tawa is made of high-quality iron.
- It can efficiently cook thin and crispy dosas.
- It can add nutrition to your food and will keep you healthy.
- You will need very less oil to cook in this pan.
- It is made out of pre-seasoned cast iron and has a very smooth and durable base.
- It comes with a skillet-like feature with narrow edges, which will help you flip your crispy dosas easily.
- This product is very sturdy and long-lasting.
- Apart from dosa, you can also make omelettes, pancakes, paranthas, fry food, etc in it.
- It is not safe for Microwave ovens.
02. Meyer Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Flat Tawa
Meyer Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Flat Tawa is a beautiful piece that you must have in your kitchen. It is a traditional cast iron pan with a modern twist. It has a perfectly smooth base which will ensure that your dosa batter won’t stick to it. This pan is very sturdy, and durable and can stay in your kitchen for an indefinite period of time. It is efficient in providing fast and even heating to all the parts so that your food and specifically dosa don’t get overcooked or undercooked in any area. As you know that a cast iron dosa pan has phenomenal heat retention so, you can use it to the highest temperature and it won’t bend, break, or get damaged. Besides, the surface of this product allows you to evenly spread the batter and cook evenly symmetrical dosas, rotis, pancakes, crepes, chillas, and many more.
- This cast iron pan from the brand Meyer has no chemical coatings on it.
- It has a beautiful modern design.
- It is super sturdy and durable.
- It can give a non-stick-like effect.
- You can use it to make and serve chocolate sizzlers as well.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It can cook faster and save your cooking time, energy, and fuel.
- It is compatible with various cooktops including induction as well.
- This pan is not rust-proof.
03. The Indus Valley Natural Cookware Pre-Seasoned Super Smooth Cast Iron Tawa
Indus Valley Natural Cookware Pre-Seasoned Super Smooth Cast Iron Tawa is a product of one of the most trusted brands in India. You can select this healthier option and bid adieu to the chemical-infused non-stick pans. It is the best example of combining tradition and science. You can use this to make thin and crispy dosas, soft chapatis, pancakes, and much more. It has no harmful perfluorocarbons and is 100% toxic-free. Other than that, it can also add a fair amount of iron and will help you get healthy. Besides, it is pre-Seasoned and thus you can just bring it and enjoy making tasty and nutritious food at home.
- With this Tawa/pan you can not just pass on your recipes but also the cookware to the next generations.
- In addition to being durable, it is also versatile.
- You can use it on the oven, stove, grill, induction, etc.
- It is a perfect infusion of modern-day technology and authentic traditional culture.
- The handle of this product is not very pleasing.
04. Vinod Legacy Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dosa Tawa
A perfect dosa is thin, crispy, and flavourful, and with this product from Vinod, you can achieve it all. This pan is a pre-seasoned Tawa that will ensure healthy cooking for you and your family. There are no toxic coatings on it and it requires very less oil for cooking your food. It also adds a fair amount of iron to your food and helps you stay healthy. This pan is designed very economically and it lasts for generations after generations. In fact, it gets better with age. It is a versatile pan and can be used for baking, pan-frying, roasting, braising, searing, sautéing, etc. It also comes with a comfortable heat-resistant canvas grip and a long handle so that you can stay away from encountering any accidents while you are using it.
- It is a made-in-India product.
- It can evenly distribute heat to your food.
- There are no chemical or synthetic coatings on its inner and outer surfaces.
- Generations of people can use it because of its durability.
- It adds iron to your food.
- This product comes with a lifetime warranty.
- This pan from Vinod is not compatible with induction.
05. New EUGOR Now in India Pre Seasoned Cast Iron 12 Inches / 304MM Dosa Tawa
This cast iron dosa pan is a product from the brand EUGOR. It is made of durable non-stick cast iron material which is not only convenient for use but also can be cleaned very easily. It is durable and can last for a lifetime if properly maintained. This pan is extremely versatile and so you can cook an omelette, dosa, Rawa dosa, masala dosa, pancakes, apple, apple, fish fry, or pizza on it. This pan from EUGOR is compatible with gas stoves, electric stoves, induction ovens, grills, broilers, fire pits, etc.
- This cast iron pan is made of durable non-stick cast iron material.
- It is compatible with gas stoves, electric stoves, induction ovens, grills, broilers, fire pits, etc.
- It can last for a long time.
- You can sear, saute, bake, broil, braise or fry on this pan.
- This pan is extremely versatile and so you can cook an omelette, dosa, Rawa dosa, masala dosa, pancakes, appe, appan, fish fry, or pizza on it.
- This pan/Tawa is not rust-resistant.
How To Select The Best Cast Iron Dosa Tawa In India: A Buying Guide?
Buying a cast iron dosa tawa in India is not a very easy task. There are innumerable options that are available in the market and all claim to be the best. But, you obviously can’t just bring home the first one that will tempt your eyes. We have mentioned some of the important factors that you must look for before buying a cast iron dosa tawa in India.
Size: Cast iron Dosa Tawas are available in different sizes in the market. The domestic tawas comes in sizes that range from 9 inches to 12 inches around 22.5cm to 30cm. You can select the ideal size depending on the size of your cooking area and personal preference. However, you must keep in mind that the weight of the Tawa will have a significant difference. Ideally, a 10-inch Tawa can weigh around 2.5 kg, and a tawa of 12 inches can weigh up to 3.5 kg. Go for a pan that you can handle easily.
Weight: This point is relevant to the previous factor. It is true that heavy Tawas are difficult to handle and manage but they offer better heat retention in comparison to lighter ones. If you notice you will see that the lighter Tawas are comparatively thinner, which can easily burn your food. Thus, it is best to use cast iron Tawa instead of any other options that are available in the market. A 10-inch Tawa can weigh around 2.5 kg, and a tawa of 12 inches can weigh up to 3.5 kg. Avoid getting the heavier pan, if you don’t want to practice weight lifting with your pan on a regular basis and go for a cast iron dosa pan that has moderate weight and size.
Finish of Cast Iron Tawa: A question might pop into your mind while you are looking for the best-cast iron dosa Tawa in India. That is what is the difference between an expensive and a cheap cast iron dosa Tawa. The answer to this question is its finish and thickness, while an expensive pan will have a better finish, the cheaper one will not have a very smooth and durable one. Besides, you will see that an expensive cast iron pan will have better stick resistance in comparison to the cheaper ones. Thus, don’t get tempted towards the cheaper cast iron Tawa and get the one that offers the most at a reasonable price range.
Handles: Generally, dosa tawas come with a flat bottom, and along with that the handles also lays flat. This design of Tawas makes picking them up and lifting them really difficult, especially if they are heavier in weight. Go for a pan that comes with a comfortably designed handle which will help you have a firm grip no matter how heavy the pan is.
Cooking with cast iron utensils is a part of Indian culture, and it doesn’t matter how many innovative items entire in the market, the value of authentic and traditional practices will always remain important. Besides, cooking with cast iron utensils has several benefits, and enhances the taste and texture of the food, especially when it comes to making the perfect dosa. We hope that this article could help you in collecting all the required information related to the best cast iron dosa Tawa in India. You can also check out the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section given below if you wish to get simple and brief answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
The thickness of a Dosa Tawa should be around 2.5 mm. It is important as it must retain heat and can deliver thin and crisp dosa.
Yes, cast iron tawa/pan is the best for making crispy dosas and rotis.
Generally, a cast iron Tawa cannot cause any iron toxicity. However, it can be risky for people with hemochromatosis.
Technically, a cast iron Tawa is the best and most efficient one if you are looking for a Tawa specifically for making dosas.
- Understood what a cast iron dosa Tawa is.
- Got to know about the different types of dosa tawas that are available in the market.
- Understood why should we choose a cast Iron dosa Tawa.
- Found out the list of the best-cast iron dosa Tawa in India.
- Highlighted the important factors that we must consider before buying a cast iron dosa Tawa.
- Explored the most commonly asked questions related to the best cast iron dosa tawa in India.