You must be quite aware about the use of olive oil to fulfil the modern day requirements. It is the latest buzzword in the health and fitness world. There is no dearth of people singing the praises of olive oil. So, it piqued our curiosity when we noticed that it is a very good oil for a body massage. After doing a lot of research we are writing this blog to present to you the benefits of olive oil massage.
So, now we too have become one of the people extolling the benefits of olive oil. In this blog post, we will discuss about olive oil, the general properties it has, the overall benefits you can get if you consume it on a regular basis and the benefits of an olive oil massage. Without further ado let us start.
What is olive oil?
Olive oil is the liquid fat that is derived from pressing olives that are grown on olive trees. This oil is produced by extracting it from whole olives that need to be perfectly ripe. These olives are ground into a paste and then placed in a press. Pressure is applied on the press and from the vegetal paste the oil is squeezed.
The oil squeezed will still have a large content of water. To remove the water, oil is then placed in a centrifuge which has 2 different openings, one for the heavier water and another one for the light oil. The centrifuge is rotated at a high speed and the water and oil separate from each other. This is done twice to completely remove the water.
The oil got through this process is the virgin oil that is ready for consumption. This oil is then packaged and sold everywhere. This oil has many uses and maximum benefits are reaped when you understand its properties and how to use it which we have presented in the following paragraphs. So, please keep reading!
How to use it?
Olive oil is an extremely healthy oil and contains a lot of saturated fats, omega-3 fatty acids as well as omega-6 fatty acids that are extremely beneficial to health. It also has a lower smoke point compared to other vegetable oils. That means when this oil is heated on a high flame it will start to smoke after it reaches its smoke point and all the healthy fats it contains will break down.
Then the benefit of consuming this oil will get eroded. It might also render the oil hazardous as there is a chemical breakdown of the oil. That is why this oil is not recommended for frying and you can see this clearly from the screenshot I have attached below. It is best to eat this oil raw and that is why it is used as a salad dressing.
There are many benefits you reap when you consume this oil raw. We have listed some of the general benefits that you will enjoy if you eat this oil regularly.
General Benefits of olive oil
- Olive oil is known to help in weight loss
- It is a rich source of monosaturated fats and hence it helps in lowering cholesterol levels
- It contains antioxidants like polyphenols and oleic acid and is considered to be healthier than other vegetable oils
- It is a rich source of vitamin E which helps in regulating metabolism.
- It is rich in phenols that have anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- It reduces inflammation and the growth of harmful bacteria.
You need not consume it on a regular basis to notice a difference in your health. You can even apply it to your skin and hair to enjoy the benefits it provides. Olive oil is the ideal oil for body massage and regularly massaging yourself with this oil provides many benefits which I have discussed below.
Olive oil massage benefits
- Olive oil helps relieve pain and inflammation, especially in inflamed joints and muscles. Massaging the body with slightly warm olive oil provides much needed relief and is also a more permanent solution than pain killers. If you or anyone you know suffers from arthritis or gout then olive oil body massages are a way to alleviate the pain and put yourself on the road to recovery.
- Massaging your body with olive oil also reduces the stress and tension in the body. It increases the circulation of the blood, improves energy levels and helps soothe your body. It is said that a massage with olive oil is as good as mediation or Tai Chi.
- Olive oil is a natural remedy to soothe the skin. It also helps in reducing sunburns by locking in the moisture of the skin. You can mix olive oil with a little water and spray this mixture on the affected area and gently massage. The vitamins and antioxidants present in the oil even the skin tone and soothe the skin irritation.
- It helps in reducing cellulite. Cellulite that is present in the upper part of outer thighs and hips can be reduced to a great extent by olive oil. You can mix olive oil with ground coffee and a little bit of water. Massage it on your legs and hips to reduce the cellulite in that area.
- With our sedentary lifestyle, we have often become victims to back pains and neck pains. Along with exercising and stretching your back and neck muscles, you can routinely massage your neck and back with olive oil. This reduces all the stiffness and pain in the body. The chemical oleocanthal found in olive oil is anti-inflammatory in nature and decreases the inflammation and pain in the body to a great extent.
- Olive oil is not only good for the body, but it is also good for the hair. When you massage your scalp with olive oil it will release the tension in your head and effectively treat the dandruff present. Being rich in Vitamin E, it naturally reduces the itchiness that is associated with dandruff.
- A relaxing olive oil massage will de-stress you and remove any kind of tension in the body. This in turn will aid you to sleep better at night. It might also help with problems like insomnia that is due to excessive stress in the body. It also relieves headaches. This helps you unwind and get a good uninterrupted sleep.
- Olive oil is known to reduce fine lines and slow down ageing. Olive oil is packed with much needed anti-oxidants that help in reducing wrinkles like the crows’ feet around the eyes and the fine lines that appear on the forehead. Olive oil contains ingredients like collagen and elastin that moisturise the skin giving it a youthful appearance and prevent skin sagging.
The list above is certainly not exhaustive and by reading the points we have mentioned you can see why health experts are going ga-ga over olive oil. Olive when not chemically processed and is cold pressed yields a lot of health benefits. It is best consumed raw and its distinct taste adds more flavor to the food. Here, is the some popular Olive oil products you can buy online.
What are the disadvantages of olive oil massage?
Olive oil has been utilized for a long time as an effective moisturizing and healing treatment for the skin. By massaging olive oil into the skin, a variety of benefits can be obtained; these include moisturizing dry skin, improving skin elasticity, and reducing inflammation. Nonetheless, there are also several cons to applying olive oil as massage oil.
The advantage of olive oil is that it is a healthy alternative to other oils, but the disadvantage is that it can stain fabrics and bedding. The oil is difficult to fully wash out of linens, towels, and massage sheets. One study found that olive oil left permanent stains on over 60% of fabrics tested. So, protective coverings should be used during an olive oil massage to avoid ruining linens or clothing.
Fabric stain test results after olive oil
|Percentage Permanently Stained
Additionally, some people discover they are allergic to olive oil after skin exposure. In one medical survey, 4.1% of patients developed rashes or irritation from contact with olive oil (Smith, 2021). It is possible to develop an olive oil allergy even if previously tolerated, so allergic reactions may not be predictable.
Olive oil is also messy to handle and clean up. It is fluid at room temperature, so it tends to drip and spill easily. The oil can leave grease stains anywhere it drips if not thoroughly cleaned. And leftover oil on skin or surfaces could present a slipping hazard. This messiness factor makes olive oil less convenient to use in some massage settings.
So while olive oil massage provides skin conditioning and therapeutic benefits, the potential for fabric staining, allergic reactions, and general messiness are disadvantages to consider. Care should be taken to mitigate these downsides when using olive oil as a massage medium. Consulting with a healthcare provider is recommended for those with sensitive skin or suspected allergies prior to olive oil use.
We hope you enjoyed reading my post on Olive oil and its many benefits and found it informative. Do let me know if you started including olive oil in your diet or you tried a massage with it. Please remember olive oil has a low smoking point compared to other oils and is not ideal for frying.
To reap its benefits over the long term consume it regularly and go for massages consistently. This oil when extracted mechanically is the best oil for massages and is very beneficial to the skin and hair. Use this oil regularly and get rid of most of your health problems.